Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from tweaktown:

Shanghai Pudong International Airport customs officers caught a passenger trying to sneak in a batch of old Radeon GPUs into the country. Based on the seizure image all 44 Radeon RX 580 GPUs look to be the same make and model, presumably used for crypto mining.

Naturally, this is a case of someone trying to avoid paying import fees by not declaring that they have a bunch of old graphics cards they will wipe down and sell for a quick profit.

As for these 44 Radeon RX 580 graphics cards, it's common practice for Chinese authorities to sell the confiscated goods at public auction. As for the card, the RX 580 is still a competent and popular budget GPU among gamers. However, it's starting to show its age when you compare its features and capabilities to modern Radeon products.

He probably went through a checkpoint with a metal detector.

Not to mention, the suitcase must have been super heavy if he had it all in one suitcase. And it's kind of funny if you ask me. Not the guy getting in trouble, but trying to get 44 GPUs past security. I can't believe he thought that it was going to be a good idea.

So much can be missed by security. I'm sure they went with, as others have said, the weight of the bag, the metal detector. & if the person looked too anxious. Of course anxiety could be just that, anxiety!

Does make me wonder how he got caught. With security ramping up like it has now, I would imagine there were many ways he got busted.

Despite all the security things do get missed though so I would go on him being anxious or the weight of the bag he was taking through. A heavy bag I would imagine would be a serious cause for concern.

Back