Writing Do you suffer from Social Phobia, here's super tips on how to overcome it?

Henrywrites

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Most people get unease in certain social settings. However, if you have social phobia, everyday events can be energy draining. You may experience fear than a lot of others in social discussions which can even lead to having low self-esteem.

Good news is, don't let these challenges pull you down forever as there are a lot of ways you can handle the difficulties that comes with interacting with people in the public space. It is also worthy to note that visiting a therapist is also one of the best ways to handle this challenge.

1. Make A First Step

It is important that you want to achieve massive success with overcoming social anxiety. You can make a little step by going for a small family dinner night. Form the habit of making eye contact with people when you go to the stores to make purchases. You can take bigger steps from here when your confidence gets better.

2. Be in charge of your breathing.

Social phobia can cause changes in how your body responds to the environment. One of the biggest signs is in your breathing. You may experience dizziness or feeling tensed in such situations.

There are some techniques that you can adopt in managing your breathing when tensed.

The first is ensure that you are sitting in a comfortable position with your back straight. Keep your shoulders rested, then breathe in and out slowly for 3-4 seconds. Repeat this till your body is calm and relaxed.

3. Proper Planning.

When going for a social event that is likely to make you nervous, then there is need to make proper planning. Instead of avoiding important events because you are going to feel nervous while there, why not prepare better for it?

For instance, you can make research about questions to ask when on a dinner date before going for one. This way, you will be arm with information that you can share with your partner while on the date to avoid being tensed and receiving all the heat while there. You can also do some relaxing exercises before setting out on such trips on the particular day.

There are many other ways that you can handle social anxiety, but these 3 key points can be of great help in helping you to come out of your shell and having wonderful experiences when out there.

I like that one of the tips is to focus on your breathing. Many people, especially when they are anxious, breathe shallowly, from their chest. When you focus on deep breathing via your belly, you engage the diaphragm which helps oxygenate the lungs & body. It's a way to help calm down. I urge people to take some time & practice some various techniques for deep breathing. Either by just focusing on inhaling & exhaling with your belly or doing other methods such as the 4-6-8.

I like that one of the tips is to focus on your breathing. Many people, especially when they are anxious, breathe shallowly, from their chest. When you focus on deep breathing via your belly, you engage the diaphragm which helps oxygenate the lungs & body. It's a way to help calm down. I urge people to take some time & practice some various techniques for deep breathing. Either by just focusing on inhaling & exhaling with your belly or doing other methods such as the 4-6-8.

Controlling your breathing is one of the best ways to make the body feel relaxed. To overcome social phobia, one needs to adopt such move.

Some people aren't a social phobia, some people are just introverts who find interacting with a big group of people to be especially draining. I say this because I consider myself to be an introvert. I already deal with people a lot at my job so I tend to want to just hang out by myself a lot when I'm not at my work.

Unfortunately, I'm claustrophobic. I don't do well in confined places. I try as much as possible to avoid having myself within such situations.

Some people aren't a social phobia, some people are just introverts who find interacting with a big group of people to be especially draining. I say this because I consider myself to be an introvert. I already deal with people a lot at my job so I tend to want to just hang out by myself a lot when I'm not at my work.

You have gotten better than most of the introverts that wouldn't do well at relating better at work. Hanging out by yourself ain't a big deal too.

I have lots of friends that are the same way and I understand them very well. I try not to intrude on them when they didn't invite me in.

Thank you for sharing these helpful tips on how to manage social anxiety. It's important to take small steps towards overcoming it and to be proactive in preparing for social events. Taking charge of breathing can also help calm the body down in stressful situations. Seeking help from a therapist can also be beneficial for those struggling with social phobia. It's important to remember that everyone experiences anxiety differently and it's okay to take time to work on overcoming it.

Thank you for sharing these helpful tips on how to manage social anxiety. It's important to take small steps towards overcoming it and to be proactive in preparing for social events. Taking charge of breathing can also help calm the body down in stressful situations. Seeking help from a therapist can also be beneficial for those struggling with social phobia. It's important to remember that everyone experiences anxiety differently and it's okay to take time to work on overcoming it.
It's definitely something that should never be forced otherwise it's not going to end well.

Taking time to work on it is the most important aspect of overcoming social phobia. It is work that is not going to end in a night.

I'm an introvert & when I worked, it was in Factories, 2nd shift. I didn't have to deal with customers; only the same workers.
I'm a homebody so was never the type to go out much.

I'm an introvert & when I worked, it was in Factories, 2nd shift. I didn't have to deal with customers; only the same workers.
I'm a homebody so was never the type to go out much.

I would want to know if there are no efforts that can be made to make adjustments? Maybe that is something to consider seriously.

I would want to know if there are no efforts that can be made to make adjustments? Maybe that is something to consider seriously.
Are you asking in a general sense? For general, there are always things to do. As long as you choose to say home or go out, that is the biggest issue. Some people stay home because they have an overwhelming fear. I go out on occasion, we DO need to socialize, but I prefer to stay home the most.

Are you asking in a general sense? For general, there are always things to do. As long as you choose to say home or go out, that is the biggest issue. Some people stay home because they have an overwhelming fear. I go out on occasion, we DO need to socialize, but I prefer to stay home the most.

Yes, I am asking in the general sense. I believe there is need to socialize more although the overwhelming fear of friends' betrayals is another thing.

Yes, I am asking in the general sense. I believe there is need to socialize more although the overwhelming fear of friends' betrayals is another thing.
I think of it as going out for yourself not for others. What do YOU want out of it. We can be a bit selfish in this case. It's called Self-Care. Trust, but be vigilant. Assume the best in people but also remember everybody is human & can make mistakes.
To know that if you were betrayed, more times than not it was not you personally. It's the other person who had the issue. I'm sure that so called friend betrayed many more people. Plus think of it this way, they most likely are not thinking about the after-effects, after-thoughts, so why should you? Learn from the mistake, think of nice things about that person (we can find at least one thing nice when we take that step back), put it in a, what I call, "bubble". Then when you have fear again, refer to that "bubble" on the good thing, then live your life.
As with anything, this takes practice :)

I have been betrayed a couple of times by friends. I don't have an open mind easily to any one of them now.

Back