California apparently bans Skittles

I read on the Twitter comments that Brominated Vegetable Oil in Skittles is already banned in 90 % of the world.

I think Skittles will change their candy recipe with a higher quality vegetable oil and ingredients to avoid being banned.

It's California! What do you expect? They come up with some of the ABSOLUTE MOST RIDICULOUS (And often time entertaining) propositions the human mind can conjure up! Makes me glad to live in Iowa where NONE of this silly nonsense could ever become law here!

Typical Americans. Eating food the rest of the world would never think of for profit that may trickle down to the FDA's funding.

I read an article on NPR at ( https://www.npr.org/2023/10/10/1204...-food-additives-red-dye-3-propylparaben-candy ) that brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, propylparaben and red dye 3 can cause disease like cancer.

According to NPR, the Europeon version of Skittles does not contain brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, propylparaben and red dye 3 .

If Skittles use the Europeon Skittles recipe without dangerous food addictives, it won't be banned in California.

It's California! What do you expect? They come up with some of the ABSOLUTE MOST RIDICULOUS (And often time entertaining) propositions the human mind can conjure up! Makes me glad to live in Iowa where NONE of this silly nonsense could ever become law here!
I so agree! I am never surprised at what they come up with. & then some people are actually getting smart & moving out of there.
I'm glad I don't live in California.
Me too!
Everything in California is cancer dangerous, it's so sad.
It's funny because what they deem as cancer causing is not deemed that in other states!

I feel Skittles will switch to another type of non-banned vegetable oil and food addictive in the future to avoid being banned for using Brominated Vegetable Oil, and getting bad publicity for selling food which California feels will make buyers more likely to get cancer compared to non-Brominated Vegetable Oil.

I havn't heard a lot of news stories of Skittles complaining about using non-brominated vegetable oil, so I feel Skittles will use non-brominated vegatable oil in the future.

Tbh, it’s interesting to learn how much of the stuff we put in our food in the US is illegal in most countries.

The FDA equivalent in other countries go:
“We won’t put that in our food unless you prove that it won’t kill us”.

The US:
“We’re putting it in our food until you prove it can kill us”.

Red dye #3 is banned in many countries, so California isn’t that crazy following the lead of most other countries.

Back